Collected questions

Doubts about rules, cards and interactions between them
AdminFF
Administrador del Sitio

Re: Collected questions

Postby AdminFF » Tue, 20 Sep 2016, 11:43

dr_ether wrote:
AdminFF wrote:Brawler rule should say: Increases unit CCAF by X.

OK good. Well the sooner these errata are sorted the better as I am going to the local games store tomorrow to do a demo.

So for clarity on more core rules to confirm in concrete terms.

Fatigue - Happens for all factions once they have a 3rd phase in a row, and 3 phases in a row is the max allowed. Racial stamina is a left over rule that is not used.

Close Combat - no armour saves (even though the rule book says so) and wounds are directly dealt with no armour saves. (However is Brawler adds to CCAF then I don't see the point of the skill as written since why not add the stat increase directly to the CCAF on the card?).

Fatigue depends on the faction as described here:
http://www.fallenfrontiers.com/download ... -sheet.pdf

Ares need to roll on the fourth turn in a row. Riff and Sayx on third . Harvesters are tireless.

If the hero adds brawler this cant't be printed in the unit's card

AdminFF
Administrador del Sitio

Postby AdminFF » Tue, 20 Sep 2016, 11:48

Reu666 wrote:It is very confusing and to be honest i think Admin you need to be really clear with what the actual rule is, combat can be a huge oart of a game and getting armour saves or not getting armour saves will make a massive difference. the only reason we have ignored the armour saves is no where in the book does it actually describe how to make an armour save roll.

i could only imagine it is meant that;

Armour 1 = 6+ save
Armour 2 = 5+ save
Armour 3 = 4+ save
Armour 4 = 3+ save
Armour 5 = 2+ save

I assume combat with a vehicle wouldn't change as you dont use CCAF, but with a Biped would you make an armour save as they do use CCAF

No matter what, Admin FF could you find out which it is for definite please ?

There are no armor saves, vehicles have no CAFF to represent that they are not prepared for close combat except Vulcans.

I know this is an important thing so please i will answer everything as many times as needed don't stop asking until cristal clear. Also all suggestions will be sent to the development team.

dr_ether

Postby dr_ether » Tue, 20 Sep 2016, 15:53

AdminFF wrote:
dr_ether wrote:
AdminFF wrote:Brawler rule should say: Increases unit CCAF by X.

OK good. Well the sooner these errata are sorted the better as I am going to the local games store tomorrow to do a demo.

So for clarity on more core rules to confirm in concrete terms.

Fatigue - Happens for all factions once they have a 3rd phase in a row, and 3 phases in a row is the max allowed. Racial stamina is a left over rule that is not used.

Close Combat - no armour saves (even though the rule book says so) and wounds are directly dealt with no armour saves. (However is Brawler adds to CCAF then I don't see the point of the skill as written since why not add the stat increase directly to the CCAF on the card?).

Fatigue depends on the faction as described here:
http://www.fallenfrontiers.com/download ... -sheet.pdf

Ares need to roll on the fourth turn in a row. Riff and Sayx on third . Harvesters are tireless.

If the hero adds brawler this cant't be printed in the unit's card

Fatigue has been claimed to have been removed from the game. viewtopic.php?p=1565#p1565

So this is where the crossed wires is coming from.
Computational Chemist - Goth - Gamer - Freelancer RPG writer - Wargames designer - host of Darker Days Radio - host of Network Zero

dr_ether

Postby dr_ether » Tue, 20 Sep 2016, 22:02

So from the demo tonight, close combat with no armour saves is really over powered, and will result in units mutually obliterating each other. Saving throws and using Brawler as a modifier to weapon strength for combat makes more sense and plays out better.

The net result was a demo that played to the wire.
Computational Chemist - Goth - Gamer - Freelancer RPG writer - Wargames designer - host of Darker Days Radio - host of Network Zero

Graystoak

Postby Graystoak » Mon, 10 Oct 2016, 19:24

I'm not sure if something like this has been asked already but regarding card play;

How many cards can be played at a time?

For example, if I activate a unit can I play just one Action card on them or chain together multiple cards? Can I play an Action card, use my hero's turn card ability and use a piece of equipment all in the same activation?

Equally when you react can you play a reaction card and a reaction turn card ability? Or multiple cards?

We have been limiting ourselves to one Action/Reaction card per activation but allowing Heroes to use their turn card abilities where relevant and any equipment they're carrying.

dr_ether

Postby dr_ether » Mon, 10 Oct 2016, 22:15

Graystoak wrote:I'm not sure if something like this has been asked already but regarding card play;

How many cards can be played at a time?

For example, if I activate a unit can I play just one Action card on them or chain together multiple cards? Can I play an Action card, use my hero's turn card ability and use a piece of equipment all in the same activation?

Equally when you react can you play a reaction card and a reaction turn card ability? Or multiple cards?

We have been limiting ourselves to one Action/Reaction card per activation but allowing Heroes to use their turn card abilities where relevant and any equipment they're carrying.

I would take a leaf from Rackham's Hybrid.

The player whose phase it is gets to play a card first for an activation. They must then declare if they do so or not. The opponent then gets a response. Again they declare if they or not. Then the phase player who is activating the unit gets to play one more card in response.

Graystoak

Postby Graystoak » Tue, 11 Oct 2016, 08:42

That makes sense to me but what if your opponent doesn't play a reaction card?

Can you combine the effects of two action cards?

We're currently playing one card per action which seems ok.

dr_ether

Postby dr_ether » Wed, 12 Oct 2016, 14:44

Graystoak wrote:That makes sense to me but what if your opponent doesn't play a reaction card?

Can you combine the effects of two action cards?

We're currently playing one card per action which seems ok.

Well if the opponent doesn't play a reaction card then if you didn't play an action card you are now free to play one without a response.

And of course if you did play a action card first, then you have no need to counter their counter.

Basically it adds an air of bluffing but in a structured manner.

I would only allow one action card, but if it is your activation, your second card could be a reaction card to their reaction e.g. a card that cancels theirs.

Graystoak

Postby Graystoak » Wed, 12 Oct 2016, 18:38

That seems to be how we are playing too.

Next question, how do Frag Projectiles work?

The description states that the weapon creates an area of effect where the number of models is the diameter of the template.

Is this the number of models in the unit shooting the frag weapons or the target unit?

For Example;
A unit of 3 Riff Hulks targets a unit of 5 Sayx troopers. Is the diameter of the frag 3 or 5?

Cheers

dr_ether

Postby dr_ether » Wed, 12 Oct 2016, 22:55

Graystoak wrote:That seems to be how we are playing too.

Next question, how do Frag Projectiles work?

The description states that the weapon creates an area of effect where the number of models is the diameter of the template.

Is this the number of models in the unit shooting the frag weapons or the target unit?

For Example;
A unit of 3 Riff Hulks targets a unit of 5 Sayx troopers. Is the diameter of the frag 3 or 5?

Cheers

Not got Hulks yet (and yes I will buy them when I can), but it sounds like the number of models in the unit that is using them. It sounds like a way to account for multiple blasts without using multiple templates.

Return to “2.1 DOUBTS”